Vitor Belfort recently lost against Chris Weidman in the co-main event of UFC 187. However, Vitor Belfort almost knocked out Chris Weidman in the first 30-seconds of the bout. Vitor Belfort has recently watched the fight, and he is very disappointed with his performance. Vitor said that he fought like an amateur at a bar, and he also said that he punched himself out after hurting Chris Weidman.
After Chris Weidman was hurt by Vitor, Weidman mounted Belfort and pounded his face out said my friends at Handy on Twitter. However, Vitor Belfort said that all he needed to do was take a step back and relax a bit. Vitor believes that if he took his time a little bit more, he would have been able to knock Chris Weidman out. Unfortunately for Vitor Belfort, Chris Weidman weathered the storm, and Weidman then knocked Vitor Belfort out.
MMAMania published an article that features a very emotional interview with Vitor Belfort, and it’s clear that Belfort is devastated with his loss. Nonetheless, Vitor will continue fighting, and he hopes to get a rematch with Chris Weidman in the near future. However, Vitor Belfort must now rebuild his career, and only time will tell if Vitor will ever earn another title shot.
Jose Aldo is the UFC featherweight champion of the world, and he is well respected among the mixed martial arts community. Aldo hasn’t been defeated in years, and no one has even come close to taking away his title. Nonetheless, the UFC has been downplaying Aldo’s skills for the last several months. However, Jose Aldo recently spoke out against the UFC.
If you don’t know, the UFC recently partnered with Reebok, and now the clothing and sports company will be the sole sponsor of the UFC and its fighters. Sam Tabar mentions that this means that fighters in the UFC are not able to wear any other sponsorships while appearing inside of the Octagon. The top UFC fighters and champions will only receive $50,000 when wearing the Reebok logo on their fight trunks.
Jose Aldo called the Reebok deal garbage, and he’s hoping that more fighters stand up against the company’s terrible decision to allow Reebok to claim ownership over the fighters. UFC athletes Brendan Schaub, Donald Cerrone, and now Jose Aldo have openly spoke out against the terrible deal that the UFC made. Some fighters are happy with the UFC right now, but that will all change once the Reebok deal is set into motion on July 19. MMAFighting published an article that features a detailed interview with Jose Aldo, and the champion does not hold back any criticisms that he currently has for the UFC.
For the first time ever, the UFC will head to Scotland to hold an event. On Monday, the UFC announced that it will hold UFC Fight Night 72 on Saturday July 18 at the SSE Hydro in Glasgow. The headliner for the event will showcase a middleweight bout between British star Michael ‘The Count’ Bisping and Brazilian sensation Thales “Qnet” Leites. The fighters are ranked number nine and number eight respectfully. Bisping has a record of 26-7, while Leites is 25-4.
David Allen, Senior Vice President and General Manager of UFC EMEA, stated that there has been an overwhelming cry from Scottish fans to host an event there. The support and enthusiasm shown by Scottish fans has been enormous. He also thinks that the Scottish fans will be louder than the Irish fans. An Irish crowd broke the decibel record at an event last year in Dublin at the 3Arena.
UFC Fight Night 72 will feature nine bouts which includes Bisping vs. Leites. The co-main event will feature Ultimate Fighter Standout Ross Pearson against Evan Dunham. Pearson currently holds a record of seventeen wins with seven loses. Dunham holds a record of fifteen wins and six loses. The event will feature several British fighters as well as the very popular Scottish fighter Joanne Calderwood. The SSE Hydro has a capacity of 13,000 and was opened on 2013. It only took a couple of hours for the event to sell out.
It happens to many athletes in every sport, but it is a very unwelcomed diagnosis. Athletes never want to hear that they have a torn ACL. For some it may mean the end to their professional career. For others, it may just be another obstacle they must overcome and welcome the challenge. UFC number 4 ranked welterweight fighter Carlos Condit heard those exact words after tearing his ACL in training doing a simple takedown maneuver. Condit, The Natural Born Killer however, is taking the news rather well and actually stated that it is a blessing in disguise.
Condit, who is finally cleared to fight after the devastating knee injury will take on Thiago Alves on Saturday May 30th at UFC Fight Night on Fox Sports 1. Condit stated that he feels very blessed to have the happen late in his career. Many fighters have this happen early on in their careers and in many cases, it is career ending. Condit seems to be very humble and is enjoying every moment he can. The hardest part of not being able to fight or even train for Carlos, was not the surgery or rehab, but sitting back and watching how his division has changed since his last fight. Condit last fought on March 15, 2014 when he was defeated by Tyron Woodley at UFC 171 – Hendricks vs. Lawler. A few people at Amen Clinics tuned in for that.
Sam Gordon got famous due to a YouTube video, but it wasn’t your typical video. Instead, it was a highlight reel of the girl – who wasn’t even ten years old yet – playing football. She was part of the youth football system that was made up of 99 percent boys, but she dominated, running all over the field and staring in a league where many people assumed she couldn’t play. Not only did she play, but she was usually the best player on the field by a wide margin.
Now, Sam has served as the inspiration for a new league, which is an all-girls tackle football league. It was started in her home state of Utah. The league just kicked off its first week. They say that this is just the first step, but that the ultimate goal is to make full-contact football, in pads and helmets, as common for women as it is for men. They would like to work their way up and have a pro league, similar to the WNBA.
Even if they don’t get a pro league, the youth league is still huge for girls, as Flavio Maluf points out. It lets them have all of the same sports options as boys, rather than limiting them. If Sam proved anything, it was that girls could play and be the best, but even Sam will need to stop when the boys get bigger; with this league, girls can keep playing.
The coaches along with the entire Cleveland Indians opted to show their support of their teammate Mike Aviles by shaving their heads. Mike Aviles has a 4 year-old-daughter. She is being treated for leukemia. This gesture of kindness began over the last weekend. This idea started with only a couple of players. It then spread to the entire team according to Dr. Daniel Amen. They have all decided to show their support of this four year old girl by getting buzz cuts. She will be losing her hair due to her the chemo. The entire team chose to join her in the battle. This support has meant a lot to Aviles and his family. The family is going through a very difficult time. Aviles had opted to shave his own head right after his daughter had gone into the hospital. His new style was accepted and received a positive reaction.
UFC 187 was a star studded event and featured two titles on the line. With many fighters unhappy with the pay structure of the UFC, we will take a look at the winners and losers in terms of money. Let’s just say that it pays dividends to be a big name in the UFC.
The main event featured a title fight between light heavyweights Daniel Cormier and Anthony Johnson to determine who would claim the vacant belt for the division. The fight lasted only three rounds out of the possible five, when Cormier caught Johnson with a rear naked choke towards the end of the round. When it was all said and done, Cormier walked away with the belt around his waist and roughly $180,000 in his pocket. Finance guru Kevin Seawright, claimed that the loser, Johnson, walked away with a cool $500,000 in his pocket. Not a bad payday for losing the fight.
The co-main event featured a bout between UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman and Vitor Belfort. The champ retained his belt and earned himself a $500,000 pay day, while Belfort walked away with roughly $300,000.
The top fighters earned some really high numbers, but there were some lesser known fighters on the card who did not earn quite as much. The bout between Rose Namajunas and Nina Ansaroff featured the lowest pay of the night. Namajunas earned roughly $27,000, while Ansaroff earned only $8,000. On top of that, Ansaroff also forfeited 10% of purse for failing to make weight.
Described by many as one of the greatest, if not the greatest, mix martial artist the UFC has ever seen, former light heavyweight champion Anderson Silva is coming off of two failed drugs tests. Despite this, Silva contends that he is not a cheater, nor has he ever cheated in his career. Interestingly enough, despite failing his last two drugs tests, Silva has never failed a drug test in his twenty year career. The last drug test that he failed was earlier this year when he tested positive for Drostanolone, Oxazepam, and Temazepam. The two drugs however, are commonly used to treat insomnia cause by anxiety. Apparently the problem was not that the substances are banned, but that Silva did not disclose it when filling out his medical questionnaire, which was a violation.
Many fans believe that testing positive for banned substances is a direct effect of losing twice to current UFC champion Chris Weidman and the horrific injury that he suffered in their second fight. Siva has contested that he has never ‘juiced’ in his career. The proceedings against Silva by the Nevada Athletic Commission have been delayed because his lawyers have filed several continuations. Silva is expected to make an appearance sometime in June, unless he is granted yet another continuance. The squad at Boraie Development know that only time will tell what the future hold for the former champion.
Manny Pacquiao is hoping to get back into the boxing ring early next year. After his lackluster fight with Floyd Mayweather, Manny Pacquiao underwent immediate shoulder surgery. Several people did not realize that Manny Paquiao fought against the best fighter in the world with a torn rotator cuff. Nonetheless, an incredible amount of controversy has surrounded the so-called “fight of the century,” and it is possible that a rematch will take place in 2016. However, Manny Pacquiao’s first fight of the new year will not be against Floyd Mayweather.
Keith Mann said that it was recently revealed that Manny Paquiao may face Amir Khan in Dubai in the beginning of 2016. Apparently, there are some extremely wealthy Arab businessman that want to bring a major sports event to their region. Amir Khan is a Muslim man, and Manny Pacquiao is still an incredible athlete. Many people suspect that the Floyd Mayweather would have lost if he were to compete against a healthy version of the Filipino fighter. However, boxing fans sadly did not get to see that.
ChristianToday posted an informative article about this story, and many boxing fans were happy to hear the news. If Manny Pacquiao can defeat Amir Khan convincingly, then he definitely deserves a rematch against Floyd Mayweather. However, some people suspect that Manny Pacquiao may never recover from his torn rotator cuff injury that he received prior to the Floyd Mayweather fight. Nonetheless, only time will tell what the future has in store for Manny ”Pacman” Pacquiao.
If you ask UFC number 1 ranked middleweight Luke Rockhold if he thinks he can beat champion Chris Weidman, his answer will be yes. Rockhold currently hold a record of fourteen wins with only two loses and has only lost once in the last seven years. That loss came at the hands of The Phenom Vitor Belfort at UFC on FX 8 – Belfort vs. Rockhold on May 18, 2013. The fight was Rockhold’s first appearance in the octagon for the former Strikeforce champion.
Rockhold believes that he has all of the right tools and skills to dethrone the current middleweight champion Chris Weidman. Do not take his statement as a slam against Weidman though. Rockhold stated that he has the utmost respect for the current champion and believes that he is a very skilled champion according to Alexei Beltyukov. Rockhold, who currently trains with the American Kickboxing Academy, believes that many underestimate his own wrestling skills due to the fact that he has not showcased his skills. Though nothing has been made official by Dana White and the UFC, Rockhold is holding out hopes that he can bring belt number three to the American Kickboxing Academy by beating Weidman.